Subject: MySQL 4.1.0 has been released
From: Lenz Grimmer <[email-masked]>
To: MySQL Announcement list <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:43:51 +0200 (CEST)
List-Id: <announce.mysql.com>

Hi,

MySQL 4.1.0, a new version of the popular Open Source Database, has been
released. It is now available in source and binary form for a number of
platforms from our download pages at http://www.mysql.com/downloads/ and
mirror sites.

Note that not all mirror sites may be up to date at this point in time -
if you can't find this version on some mirror, please try again later or
choose another download site.

This is the first Alpha development release of the 4.1 tree, adding many
new features (see below). As this code is currently labelled "Alpha", we
do not recommend that this version be used in production environments yet!

However, we encourage you to test and evaluate it and, more importantly,
report any bugs or observations to our bug tracking database at
http://bugs.mysql.com. Please note, that for us to resolve a bug report, a
reproducible test is required. See "How to report a bug" at
http://bugs.mysql.com/how-to-report.php for more details before filing a bug
report. We appreciate your support!

Some new features include:

 * Subqueries:
        SELECT * FROM t1 WHERE t1.a=(SELECT t2.b FROM t2);

        SELECT * FROM t1 WHERE (1,2,3) IN (SELECT a,b,c FROM t2);

 * Derived tables:
        SELECT t1.a FROM t1, (SELECT * FROM t2) t3 WHERE t1.a=t3.a;

 * `INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ...' syntax.  This allows you
   to `UPDATE' an existing row if the insert would cause a duplicate
   value in a `PRIMARY' or `UNIQUE' key. (`REPLACE' allows you to
   overwrite an existing row, which is something entirely different.)
   (See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/INSERT.html for more info)

 * A newly designed `GROUP_CONCAT()' aggregate function.
   (See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Group_by_functions.html for more info)

 * Extensive Unicode (UTF8) support.

 * Character sets can be defined per column, table and database.

 * `BTREE' index on `HEAP' tables.

 * Support for OpenGIS (Geographical data).
   (See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/GIS_spatial_extensions_in_MySQL.html
   for more info)

 * `SHOW WARNINGS' shows warnings for the last command.
   (See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_WARNINGS.html for more info)

 * Faster binary protocol with prepared statements and parameter
   binding.
   (See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/C_API_Prepared_statements.html for
   more info)

 * Multi-line queries: You can now issue several queries at once and
   then read the results in one go.  *Note C API multiple queries::.
   (See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/C_API_multiple_queries.html for more
   info)

 * Create Table: `CREATE [TEMPORARY] TABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] table LIKE
   table'.

 * Server based `HELP command' that can be used in the `mysql'
   command line client (and other clients) to get help for SQL
   commands.

For a more detailed list of changes in MySQL 4.1.0, please also see
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News-4.1.0.html and
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/MySQL_4.1_In_A_Nutshell.html

Bye,
	LenZ
- -- 
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mlgr
   __  ___     ___ ____  __
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /      Mr. Lenz Grimmer <[email-masked]>
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__     MySQL AB, Production Engineer
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/     Hamburg, Germany
       <___/   www.mysql.com

-- 
MySQL Announce Mailing List
For list archives: http://lists.mysql.com/announce
To unsubscribe:    http://lists.mysql.com/announce?unsub=[email-masked]